Monday 25 April 2016

59. Entertaining Edibles by Sidney Escowitz


BOOK REVIEW: Entertaining Edibles by Sidney Escowitz

As a child, I used to gape in awe and amazement at the almost life-like fruit and vegetable sculptures that appeared at many a buffet spread in hotels. Those sights astonished me beyond words and at times my mum had to drag my jaw-dropped self away from the displays to where the actual food began. When I entered college for culinary arts, I managed to satiate my child-like desire by preparing my very own assembly of fruits and vegetables to mimic almost everything, from a birthday cake to a car. When this book dropped on my lap, it changed my whole viewpoint on normalcy of fruit and vege sculptures.

In Entertaining Edibles, celebrate any special occasion with whimsical fruit and vegetable sculptures. Projects range from easy to advanced. Full-colour photographs and easy-to-follow instructions accompany every project.

Besides that, this book includes basic handling techniques and trips (how to prevent an apple from browning when exposed to air) – and best of all – all designs are edible.


Now as I look at the green Volkswagen beetle (green honeymelon) being driven away by a suave Englishman (a radish with beans for eyes), I can’t help but get intrigued into attempting more projects for family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment