Monday 11 April 2016

45. Sharks by Anna McMurray


BOOK REVIEW: Sharks by Anna McMurray

As I step into the ocean for snorkelling, I start trembling at the thought of sharks circling nearby. What if I get pulled away or mauled by a ferocious Great White? Movies like Sharknado and Jaws have all instilled a deep, dark fear for these marine beasts. However, after reading this book, I have begun to see the clear picture of these somewhat “tame” sharks and that their behaviour is often misunderstood.

Sharks provides information about the anatomy, behaviour, and the different species of sharks. It also contains a classification table, followed by a glossary and a comprehensive index. Fact boxes throughout the book provide at-a-glance information about a subject, such as how long undigested food can remain in the stomach, and what senses the shark uses to lead it to food.


Dipping my flippers into the warm waters of Ao Nang, I scan the calm surface of the sea for any tell-tale signs of a fin that would warn me not to thrash around too much (snorkelers thrashing around is said to look like a seal to sharks, whereby the snorkelers are attacked) and slowly immerse myself into Mother Nature’s belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment