Thursday 21 April 2016

54. Food and Travels Asia by Alastair Hendy


BOOK REVIEW: Food and Travels Asia by Alastair Hendy

When I was three years old, my doting parents strapped me to the front of their bodies and globe-trotted. Probably that’s where I got bitten by the travel bug. Being nourished with only the best food since young, I developed an even bigger appetite as I grew into the young woman I am today. My passion for food and travels has made me acquire quite a number of books on this passion of mine and this book is no exception.

Award-winning food writer and photographer Alastair Hendy has travelled through India, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and Japan in search of the best home cooking, scribbling down stories and recipes, and clicking the camera at everything delicious in his path.

And here is the result: a gastro-led travelogue of Asia, captured by a sensitive eye and with a passion for all things Asian. The author has spent years researching this book – trawling through dawn starts, sundown climbs, mosquitoed nights, and dodgy boat and plane rides in far-flung outposts of the globe, in search of the ultimate recipe, ingredient or shot.


The result is a unique collection of images and back-home do-able dishes that celebrate the food, lives and worlds of generations of Asian home cooks. After rereading this book for the umpteenth time, I just can’t wait to set off for my upcoming trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand come Mother’s Day with my mum and dad. It’s just a culinary diaspora waiting to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment