Saturday 7 May 2016

70. The Herb & Spice Companion by Marcus A. Webb and Richard Craze


BOOK REVIEW: The Herb & Spice Companion by Marcus A. Webb and Richard Craze

These past few years, as I slowly travelled through Asia, I never missed a chance to stroll around at their local markets. A plethora of sights greeted me, from vendors selling the freshest vegetables to unique food items. However, I couldn’t resist myself from using my well-toned sense of smell to take in the sweet, sometimes pungent, aromatic smells of the spices in the spice section of the markets. Sometimes I was allowed by the vendors to pluck a mint leaf there and a basil leaf here to pop into my mouth and savour the flavours that burst forth from the leaves.

Being intrigued by all these herbs and spices, I needed a guide to brush up my meagre knowledge of these ingredients, including usage and health benefits. I chanced upon this book during one of the book fairs back here in Malaysia and my eyes widened in anime-like proportions as I was excited to finally acquire what I searched for.

This book is an authoritative guide to preparing and using a wide variety of common and unusual herbs and spices.

Illustrated directories list the medicinal, culinary and cosmetic uses of each herb and the history and essential properties of each spice.

Besides that, this comprehensive book explains which herbs to use during the stages of your life and for different physical and emotional conditions. It also covers the use of spices for health and beauty as well as for culinary use.


After flipping through these pages, I have a much deeper respect for the humble spice that reached our shores during the merchant era. Now as I sprinkle cumin seeds in a steaming pot of rice and breathe in its sweet fragrance, I hope all readers out there find this unparalleled joy of spices and spread the love of spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment