Thursday 1 April 2021

303. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

 

BOOK REVIEW: The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

I watched the movie and was bowled over by the magical world brought to life on screen. I have to admit sheepishly that I have just read the book. I have always wanted the full chronicle to read, from the very first book, ever since the movie but now I have set my mind to get a hold of it by year's end.

If you are an adult and found fairytales slowly ebbing away, this story will definitely make you believe in them with a renewed vigour. With the whole set of characters from the creatures of the night (spirits, werewolves, shapeshifters) to the beings of the golden rays (unicorns, driads, naiads, centaurs), this book will leave you spellbound and wanting more.

The Pevensie children (Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy) are sent away to stay in their uncle's house. Little did they know that a wardrobe would open a door into a world called Narnia, a land frozen in eternal winter and a country waiting to be set free. 

These four adventurers step into a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch, which binds the land into eternal winter with Christmas never in sight. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change and a great sacrifice.

As a newly assigned reading teacher in an international school, I finally realize the importance for children to read quality books as this. Firstly, language is perfect and British-y throughout. Secondly, moral values are strewn throughout the story such as patience, being just, honesty and so on.

It is a womderfully magical read and I do hope that my kids love this book as much as I did. Reading is an escape into a whole new world!

No comments:

Post a Comment