Saturday 13 July 2019

221. How to Raise a Reader by Pamela Paul and Maria Russo


BOOK REVIEW: How To Raise a Reader by Pamela Paul and Maria Russo (courtesy of Times Reads)


Now this is what I consider a definitive guide to parenting. What can be a better aid to raise kids in a wholesome way than through books? Not to boast, but my childhood purely consisted as books as my playthings. My parents being avid readers, the gentle nurturing for me to become a reader has chiselled the voracious reader that I am today.

Do you remember your first foray into a library that left you mesmerized? How about curling up for hours on end to discover the secret of the Sorceror's Stone in the Harry Potter series? These are vivid moments that can only be provided by the magical realm of books.

Combining clear, practical advice with inspiration, wisdom, tips and curated reading lists, this book shows you how to instill the joy and time-stopping pleasure of reading. 

Divided into 4 sections, from baby through teen, and each illustrated by a different artist, this book offers something useful at every turn of the page, whether it's how to develop rituals around reading or build a family library, or ways to engage a reluctant reader. A fifth section, "More Books to Love: By Theme and Reading Level", is chockful of expert recommendations.

Throughout, the shining authors, mothers of readers themselves, debunk common myths, assuage parental fears and deliver invaluable lessons in a positive and easy-to-act-on way. It's an indispensable guide to welcoming children to the reading life.

This book was entirely relatable with some of the techniques similar to how my parents instilled reading in me since the age of three. Absolutely necessary in a family setting, I give this book a major 10/10 on my rating scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment